This tutorial explains how to set up a L2TP VPN on Arch Linux. Follow step-by-step to set up a Linux Arch VPN using the L2TP protocol.
- We used the FastestVPN for this tutorial. While you can use any VPN service which offers the L2TP protocol.
1: Open terminal and switch to the root mode by typing in su root
2: Then update your Arch Linux by entering pacman -Syu
3: Now you need to install the L2TP plugin. For this, enter these commands one by one.
- pacman -S xl2tpd
- pacman -S networkmanager-l2tp
- pacman -S strongswan
- systemctl start strongswan.service
- systemctl restart NetworkManager
4: Now open your network settings and click on the + sign.
5: Select Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) and then click "Create".
6: Click "IPSec Settings"
7: Select "Pre-shared Key" in the type field. Then enter the L2TP/IPSec pre-shared key as provided by your VPN service provider in the "Pre-shared Key" field. Click "OK" to close the window.
8: Now click "PPP Settings".
9: Uncheck "EAP" and then click "OK" to close the window.
Note: These settings may vary for different VPN service providers. We have created this tutorial while using the FastestVPN.
10: Now enter the following information:
- Name: Any name for your VPN such as "L2TP VPN"
- Gateway: Enter the L2TP VPN server address provided by your VPN service provider
- User name: Enter the username as provided by your VPN service provider
- Password: Enter the password as provided by your VPN service provider
- Then click on "Save"
11: Now your L2TP VPN profile has been created. Right-click on it and then click "Connect". Wait for the connection to get established.
Your L2TP VPN on Linux Arch has been connected now. Later, you can use the network icon to connect and disconnect VPN on Arch Linux.
Free VPN Tutorials: What's More
- PPTP VPN on Arch Linux
- OpenVPN on Arch Linux Using the Terminal Command Line CLI
- Cisco AnyConnect Compatible OpenConnect VPN on Arch Linux
- VPN for Other Linux Operating Systems
By following the steps given above, you can easily set up a Linux Arch VPN using the L2TP protocol. Besides, if you're looking for additional support or you have any questions related to setting up the L2TP VPN on Arch Linux, you may Contact us for your questions, queries, feedback, or suggestions.